ideas sleeping furiously

eccentric views about eccentric black metal

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Friday, July 28, 2006

Musical competitors of Coffin Joe

Stalaggh - excerpt from "Projekt Terror" (mp3)
Interview
When listening to Abruptum I had often thought - why is it, that this kind of psychedelic improvisations are so rare in black metal. It isn't hard to come up with something like that, you know. And I had always dreamed, that things could be much more psychedelic, still without loosing that special raw touch of BM. But when I heard Stalaggh my dream had come true.
Stalaggh is black noise project from Holland. All the musicians behind that have remained strictly anonymous, they don't have even pseudonyms and it's unknown how many members there actually are. But it's said that they are all more or less known artists in dutch and belgian industrial and BM scene. Stalaggh has recorded two albums - fully improvised jam sessions called "Projekt Nihil" and "Projekt Terror". Both of these have only one track, which lasts over 30 minutes.
Among all the other negative and disturbing emotions, I guess one meaning of this audio experiment is to give some idea about the mental state of criminally insane. Probably the most curious fact about Stalaggh is that they have cooperated with a bunch of real insane asylum patients.I must admit, that this thing really is effective. When I have listened it long enough, this starts to manipulate my feelings. It infects with the need to do something aggressive and stupidly selfdestructive, like smashing my head against the wall, for example. It's like Jose Mojica Marins' movie "The strange hostel of naked pleasures", where all the characters are just running around in the campily decorated hotel and seeing creepy surreal visions. Something like a neverending horrible LSD nightmare.
The music itself is a dynamic mess of screaming and moaning madmen, fuzzy rumbling sounds, guitar noise and occasionally appearing slow riffs. Of course it demands strong nerves and a lot of patience to listen the whole stuff, but it isn't so boring as it might sound. From time to time things change, there are culminations with high tension and there are more monotonous or fragile moments. The best thing done yet in black-noise subgenre
(This sound clip doesn't give much idea of what Stalaggh really is, but it's the only one I found from the web.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home