Fresh tea !?
Furze - Fresh tea! (mp3)Furze is an one-man-band (what else) of Woe J. Reaper from Norway. I have tried to get into his music, but I just can't get any connection with it, no matter how hard I try. The songs are long and slow. The compositions are really hard to follow and the playing is clumsy, so all the time I'm unconsciously waiting for the next mistake to come. I don't know, sometimes those mistakes are so obvious that it seems even intentional, that's not a bad thing at all. Composing ugly metal and making it even more ugly by playing it badly - that's an interesting point of view, but still most of the time it's very disturbing.
There are some riffs which remind early Black Sabbath, all the time it feels that now something is going to happen, but it's endlessly stuck, like aimlessly wandering in the labyrinth. The vocals are very varied, there arent much growling or shrieking , but chaotic weird mumbling and random howls. The lyrical themes are very cryptic. It's like an one-man religion, with strange selfmade terms. I read an interview, but I still don't understand half of the things he was trying to explain.
Furze uses typical image of black metal. Corpsepaint, black leather clothes, spikes, snowy desolate landscapes and the whole package, but the strange thing is that the music is actually some sort of old school doom. With an atmosphere and production of primitive BM, but still far from all the combinations of black metal available (it's not black doom, like Nortt, for example).
Anyway, there is one very different song on the "First feast of freedom" EP. Furze has always done whatever comes to mind (too bad, that there just ain't much more than those doomy riffs and funny vocals) with no need for explanations. I don't know what made him to do this strange song, but I don't think that it's about drinking tea.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home