ideas sleeping furiously

eccentric views about eccentric black metal

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Zombies of Satanic concentration camp


Blackdeath - Satan macht mich frei (mp3)
Blackdeath is a duo from Russia, St. Petersburg. I like their "Satan macht frei" album very much, but there isn't nothing weird in this music. It makes me a bit confused. When I search for new music, I usually pick one random song from the album and when this doesn't hit me during the first minute, I leave it there. These decisions come very quickly. There has to be something really unordinary or authentic, when I want to listen the whole album. For me this Blackdeath's album is something very unordinary, because I usually don't want to listen traditional black metal. I guess that the specific atmosphere of this music makes it so special. The production is quite strange. Guitar is the most dominant - like constant sharp buzzing of chainsaw. The drums are hidden somewhere deep in the mix. You can't almost here them, but only sense them. But it's not bad production at all, it's just unique and different. And the vocals are emotionless and inhuman. It's not about screaming your head off in meaningless anger. It's more like a monotonous raven croaking than a human voice. It's cold and numb music made by totally stoned zombies. This unique sound makes the music also interesting, because if there were an average sound, probably this music would be really boring also. But the longer it lasts, the better it gets. It makes a big difference to listen just one song or the whole album.
"Satan macht frei". I take it as a paraphrase of notorious nazy slogan on the gates of concentration camps - "Arbeit macht frei". I guess this means that we are dealing here with some Satanic concentration camps. Cool ! Listen this while watching Alain Resnais "Night and fog".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home