Eclectic world of Tjolgtjar
Tjolgtjar - The first key Belphegor (mp3)Tjolgtjar - Caroline & Sue (mp3)
Tjolgtjar on MySpace
And here, next to Blood Cult, is another black metal oddity from Illinois. Tjolgtjar - one-man-band of The Reverend, who has also participated in Blood Cult, Enbilulugugal, Raw Hatred (review coming soon) and some other fine examples of American evil freakscene.
My first encounter with Tjolgtjar was a song with probably the most demented intro in BM history. It was that famous Wagner melody, I guess it's from "Valkyries", you know, that one which sounds like a battle tune. But no, it was not an orchestra version. It was a stupid monophonic Nintendo computer game version. That's shows perfectly how eclectic things might get with Tjolgtjar.
Now, don't let this misguide you. Tjolgtjar is not some black metal clown. At least that's not the main thing. He is seriously talking about his personal Tjolgtjarian religion. I'm not into occultism, not in this level anyway, so for me it's a little disappointing, when I find out, that here's another new age prophet, this time preaching about Vruguum, Skuulkuun etc. But that doesn't matter, because the music is inventive and fresh.
When I listened to Mercyful Fate track, next to Mayhem and Sarcofago on the great old school black metal compilation made by Fenriz, I was quite surprised. Of course, King Diamond is like a trademark for occultism in metal, but the music itself is very far from what I consider to be genuine BM. I have had even unpleasant thoughts, that bands like Cradle Of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are the unwanted bastard children of Mercyful Fate.
And then came Tjolgtjar, who resurrected that eighties infernal speedmetal with his own nice homerecording feeling. Until that I never really saw any connection, but now it all makes sense. He uses those same falsetto chorus vocals and groovy complexed riffs, all kind of wah-pedals and stuff, but the sound is dirty, so it doesn't sound as some kitschy sterile black pop. And that's only one part in the caleidoscopic music of Tjolgtjar.
Tjolgtjar has released split album with Blood Cult, which consists only covers. I don't know why, but I have always liked all kind of strange cover versions. This one here, "Caroline & Sue" of G.G. Allin is one of the coolest black metal coversongs I've heard. After all, as another great American patriot, he has said that he is dreaming about having a live show with Hank Williams Jr. And as it always is with Tjolgtjar - things have to groove and rock. Because there's one thing that you should not expect from Tjolgtjar - it's suicidal depressive whining.


3 Comments:
Tjolgtjar is deffinately one of the better bands to come out of this decade hopefully he'll get the credit he deserves.
I want to leave a message here to let you know that I have read (and I approve of) this review. Many thanks to thee. --reverend
If you like Tjolgtjar, check out our feature radio show on him at: http://www.recordhospital.org/orgies/index.html#tjolgtjar
Post a Comment
<< Home