ideas sleeping furiously

eccentric views about eccentric black metal

My Photo
Name:
Location: Tallinn, Estonia

Friday, July 14, 2006

I's infected with black thrash

Coldness - Nothing in the mirror (mp3)
This one-man-project of Nocturnus Horrendus from Portugal has set it's goal to make as sick and evil black metal as possible. Nevermind, that's what they all say, Coldness is noisy old school BM with an unique 80s garage thrash twist. This creates nice nostalgic feelings. It's always a good thing that there are bands who are keeping the true oldschool traditions alive. Besides usual tremolo playing, there are a lot of chunky thrashing guitar riffs in each song, that's the trademark of Coldness. But I think none of the eighties black-thrash bands were ever so noisy. The drums are powerful and pounding, the vocal and guitar are so painfully sharp, that it's impossible to listen it loudly with headphones.

There is a strange schizophrenic concept in the lyrics. Don't know for sure, but seems that it's about split personalities. There are song titles as "I destroyed the I", "One minus one" and "Me and of my I's". And "Nothing in the mirror" is also cool. Like a title for a b-movie about vampires. There is one special and really scary detail in this track. I don't know why it's there, probably just some kind of defect, but if you listen carefully, in some random point in the end of the song somebody says suddenly with a calm voice: "Cuckoo!". It comes so unexpectedly, that each time I just can't help but look over my shoulder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home