Attention BM passengers! Next stop Shoegaze

Velvet Cacoon - When the purest flesh is alive in a heart full of hate (mp3)
Velvet Cacoon - There are sixteen bridges in Portland (but only one leads to a haven) (mp3)
Velvet Cacoon on MySpace
This mystic group from The United States is ideologically and musically something very unusual in black metal. There are 8 members and seven of them are women. It's more of a romantic anti-socialite culture club than a band, because only some of them actively participate in making music. In the beginning they spread all kind of false rumours - that they belong in an ecoterroristic group, that they use guitar which functions on gasoline and have done paranormal recordings. The newest rumours have been, that they practice sexual absistence and are doing experiments with heavy drugs.
For almost a decade now they have done introvert ambient-like black metal. Because of the following I would even call it shoegaze black metal:
When I come up with such comparisons, I wonder how would it sound when a band representing , let's say, surfrock would do something in very opposite direction - IDM electronica, for example. I know some examples in metal music. Anal Cunt has done a mini-album "Picnic of love" with acoustic ballads and another grind band Exit-13 has an album "Smoking songs" - this is lounge music from the 30s. (These are not good examples, because A.C and Exit-13 have done this just to get out of their routine for a moment, but I couldn't find any other. )
Now Velvet Cacoon has made this step, like through teleportation they have moved from black metal to shoegaze indie. It seems, that they had been planning it all the time. It's not a mix of different styles. Nothing but dreamy soundscapes in the vein of My Bloody Valentine or Cocteau Twins here. Pure shoegaze record, even a good one!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home